For the meatballs:
- Minced meat – 400g, beef or lamb
- Spinach – amount by preference, just make sure the meat can still stick
- Garlic – 4 cloves, minced
- Egg – 1
For the sauce:
- Poach spinach in lightly salty water.
- Bring them through a cold water bath, then squeeze them dry. Finely chop them.
- Mix minced meat with spinach, garlic, egg, salt and pepper. You can check the taste by frying a small testing piece.
- Make meatballs of even size. Set aside.
- For the sauce, cook fennel and tomatoes in a deep pan.
- Add tomato paste and hot water. Stir slightly and then let the sauce simmer with a lid.
- Fry the meatballs with high heat to give them a nice crunchy tan.
- Spice the sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Then add the meatballs into the sauce and let them cook in the sauce until they are cooked through. It takes ca. 5 to 10 min.
Serve warm. These meatballs are all-rounders that go well together with rice, pasta, or simply as tapas.